Forms of hosting services
A hosting service entails keeping and/or sharing given web content on a server administered by a website hosting distributor. There are various forms of hosting services utilized for different aims, so let's take a glance at these. Thus, you can conclude what you want, depending on whether you'd like to build a web portal, email accounts, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a service provided by certain file storage providers, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer makes you await a given interval of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly awry explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the tasks at hand between independent packs of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various web space hosting services (electronic mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is just a kind of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given companies provide a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting brand is suitable if you wish to share a huge quantity of pics with pals or colleagues since the service is usually free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to taking care of your mail accounts. Some corporations provide site hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an email solution. If you desire to manage an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can open email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have trouble with your web space hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will enable you to utilize as many video clips as you wish without bothering about system reserves.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you want to own a website. To some extent, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and electronic mail accounts, upload videos, etc. At CultHost.com, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that permit you to get all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are tailored for particular content exclusively.